Sunday, May 3, 2009

CROSS of IRON


I don't know how CROSS of IRON failed to make my earlier list . . . I guess including Caligula on a dare knocked this epic off the list . . . Sam Peckinpah's masterful depiction of hellish World War II combat on the Russian Front - seen from the German point of view - was the source of so many memorable lines. Leading the cowardly Prussian officer Hauptmann Stransky (Maximillian Schnell) into the final maelstrom of combat at the film's end, Unteroffizier Steiner (James Coburn) utters the immortal words, "Come with me, I will take you where the Iron Crosses grow . . . "

1 comment:

  1. I went to see this movie with my brother in Bangkok when it first came out. It made a great impression on us, and we still quote lines from this movie to each other over 30 years later.

    ReplyDelete